Some problems I encountered with my Jekyll powered blog -- and their solutions
This post wil be one of those “evolving publications” as called by Martin Fowler.
But I will call this “evolving notes”.
This post contains some of the problems I encountered while adding more functionality or fixing some errors to my Jekyll-powered blog.
Problem: Different URLs for different timezones
A few days ago, I noticed that Jekyll generates different URL’s for different timezones.
For example, when I build my blog locally, it generates this URL:
…because in my local machine the date is April 6, 2017 01:05:00 AM.
(Please note that I am using UTC as my publish date. For the example I am using, the UTC date is
2017-04-05 05:05:00 PM UTC.)
But when I publish it to GitHub Pages, it generates a different URL:
…because my local machine has this date & time:
April 6, 2017 01:05:00 AM
The solution is to add
timezone: UTC in
After that, when executing
jekyll serve --watch, an error popped up.
jekyll 3.4.3 | Error: No source of timezone data could be found. Please refer to http://tzinfo.github.io/datasourcenotfound for help resolving this error.
I needed to install the gem
When I tried
gem install tzinfo-data -install-dependencies, my machine installed it in the current folder instead of the folder where all the global gems are installed. (In my case,
So I googled and found that I needed to do this:
gem install tzinfo-data -include-dependencies --install-dir C:\Ruby23-x64\lib\ruby\gems\2.3.0
Problem: How to add pagination
Just go to the docs jekyllrb.com/docs/pagination/